Is your business in need of a new copier or printer? Have you been tasked with doing the research and making the purchasing decision for a multifunctional copier or printer for your company? This article will help make your decision easier as it compares copier leasing versus copy machine purchasing. By examining and comparing these two options you will be able to make a more informed decision about what is right for your company.
First let us discuss in general terms copier leasing and copier purchasing.
Multifunctional Copier Leasing
Most people are familiar with leasing a vehicle. You go into the dealership and choose the vehicle and are ready to make the “purchase”. When comparing the number with the financial advisor you realize that the lease option is very appealing due to the lower monthly payment. You also note that maintenance on the vehicle is included for the term of the lease for regular scheduled service. When the lease is up you are ready to give back the old vehicle and start the process again by choosing a new vehicle. If instead you would like to keep your current vehicle you have the option to purchase it outright (or finance it) at this time. The goal with any lease is to get the equipment you want with as little money down as possible to start while keeping your monthly payment affordable.
Copier leasing works in a very similar way to vehicle leasing. STAT Business Systems offers free quotes so we typically come to your place of business to work with you and assess your needs. Once a copier model is agreed upon you now have the option to lease or purchase. If you choose to lease the copier we will offer you an operating lease. This type of lease offers a lower monthly payment than other types of leases such as purchase (capital) leases. Note that we offer copier leasing for both our new and used copier products giving you a more flexible option in terms on budget. Our leases typically include scheduled service to ensure that they are operating correctly and to protect the equipment from damage (when not maintained). We then agree to a downpayment, monthly payment, and lease term.
Multifunctional Copier Purchasing
Many companies prefer to own their equipment outright. This is typical of larger organizations who can afford to pay a higher amount and often have an in house copier and IT expert to maintain the equipment.
The process of making a copier purchase is similar to copier leasing for copier purchasing. We set an appointment to visit your business, assess your needs, and recommend a few options to help you make a decision. Once you choose a copier we then examine the purchasing options. First you always have the choice to simply purchase the equipment outright. We also offer you financing options with a monthly payment which is dependent on the type of equipment, financing term, and amount of downpayment. Although scheduled maintenance is not included in this package many of our customers sign up for a scheduled service package to ensure proper operation and longevity of the equipment.
Copier Leasing vs Purchasing Benefits
Now that you have a better understanding of what options you will have when purchasing a new or used copier for your business what is the right decision for your business? Let’s compare the benefits of each choice:
BENEFITS OF COPIER LEASING
- Lower Monthly Cost – The most influencing benefit of copier leasing is the lower monthly cost. This can allow your business to get into a higher model of copier which in turn can save on labor costs and boost morale in the office. And everyone loves paying less for a great machine.
- Lower Initial Deposit – For a lot of companies a large deposit on a new copier is not the best use of that money. Instead a low monthly payment allows the company to stretch the payments out while collecting income and enjoying the benefits right away.
- Included Scheduled Maintenance – Over the past few decades of maintaining copiers and printers we have a very good understanding of exactly what is needed for proper copier maintenance. Our lease program includes scheduled maintenance at number of pages printed intervals (and/or age). This benefit to copier leasing provides peace of mind for business owners and helps to avoid workplace interruptions due to a non functioning copier.
- Keep Up With Technology & Growth – If you purchase a copier outright you don’t have the same options to avoid obsolete equipment or keep up with your businesses changing needs. For example if your business takes on a few extra employees all using the same copier and printing machine it might not be able to keep up with the demand. Our copier leasing program allows for early upgrades to newer equipment that can adapt with your needs. You also have the benefit of keeping up with technology with a new machine every few years so your equipment is never obsolete.
BENEFITS OF COPIER PURCHASING
- Lower Total Cost – If you choose to purchase your printing equipment outright you will typically pay a lower total amount. This is because you will save on interest costs over the years since financing rates are often lower than leasing rates.
- Flexibility – By owning your copier you have a lot more flexibility. You are able to sell the equipment to recoup some of your investment, you are not under any contracts, and you are not bound by the same scheduled maintenance that is required in a lease since you are the owner of the equipment.
Copier Purchasing and Leasing Disadvantages
With both our copy machine lease and purchase programs there are some things to consider. For leasing the drawbacks are simple: the total cost of the machine will be higher when compared to purchasing and the business will be signing a contract with a fixed term. For purchasing the initial expense will be greater, the buyer assumes more risk for the equipment since they now own it, and scheduled maintenance can often be missed.
Should I Lease Or Purchase a New Copier?
After considering all of the information above we hope that we have helped make your decision a little easier. The basic rule of thumb when choosing to purchase or lease a new copier is as follows. If you would like a lower monthly price with a lower initial investment AND would like to upgrade your copier every few years and not worry about maintenance leasing is the perfect choice. If your business can afford to make a larger initial investment you can save money by purchasing the machine outright and have greater flexibility in regards to resale, avoiding contracts, and recouping some of your investment through resale.
We hope that we have made your decision a little easier! If you would like to speak to an expert about copier leasing versus copier purchasing our team is standing by to provide you with some great options and a free quote. Contact us today to learn more!