Printers and copiers use many acronyms to describe their features and functions. At STAT Business Systems we want to add clarity to our industry lingo. Here are some of the most common printer and copier acronym definitions that you should know:
- CMYK: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. These are the four ink colors used in digital printing and color copying. They are also called process colors or subtractive colors.
- ADF: Automatic Document Feeder. This is a device that feeds multiple sheets of paper into a printer or copier for scanning or copying without manual intervention.
- DPI: Dots Per Inch. This is a measure of the resolution or sharpness of a printed image. The higher the DPI, the more detailed and clear the image will be.
- PPM: Pages Per Minute. This is a measure of the speed or productivity of a printer or copier. It indicates how many pages can be printed or copied in one minute.
- PDF: Portable Document Format. This is a file format that preserves the layout, fonts, graphics and other elements of a document across different platforms and applications. It is widely used for sharing and printing documents.
- OCR: Optical Character Recognition. This is a technology that converts scanned images of text into editable and searchable text. It can be used for digitizing documents, extracting data, translating languages and more.
- MFP: Multifunction Printer. This is a device that combines the functions of a printer, copier, scanner and fax machine in one unit.
- CPC: Cost Per Copy or Cost Per Click. This is a measure of how much it costs to print or copy one page on a printer or copier. It includes the cost of toner, paper, maintenance and service.
- PCL: Printer Control Language. This is a language developed by HP that allows printers to communicate with computers and other devices. It is widely supported by many printers and copiers.
- RADF: Reversing Automatic Document Feeder. This is a type of ADF that can scan or copy both sides of a document automatically by flipping it over.
There are many additional acronyms used commonly throughout our website and in the copier/printer world. If you have any questions or need clarification of features and benefits we encourage you to contact us! Our friendly copier leasing team will be happy to assist you!